Thursday, February 17, 2011

Never Go Camping to the Rocky Mountains in June! – part 2

Let me describe to you how cold it became every night. We slept wearing winter hats, several shirts, sweatshirts, a coats, gloves, jeans, sweat pants, and many pairs of socks including wool socks. We braved the wintry elements in June without even contemplating checking into a hotel.

One morning, I woke up before the rest of my family and waited impatiently for my mom to wake up because I had to use the restroom; I could not just leave the camper without telling anyone, since at the time I was only eight years old. After what seemed to be a long time, my family did start waking up; I received permission to go and sat up to put on my tennis shoes. There was no need to change out of my pajamas because I was already dressed in my layers of clothes. Wait, there was one problem; the door would not open. I tried again, but did not open. Then someone pointed to the top of the door. Here is what had happened the night before; snow had quietly fallen on the mountain all night. It was heavy enough to cause the awning of the camper to fall backwards into the door. By now, I was quite frustrated because I really did have to use the restroom; with my big, puffy coat and I did manage to squeeze through the door. Once out in the open air, I saw a spectacular winter wonderland. I made my way to the restroom while observing another beauty of the mountains. This experience has never left my memory. Most people do not intend to camp in the snow, but I am glad we did. To me this just another reason proving that camping is amazing!


http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/NWI2685.jpg 

No comments:

Post a Comment