Sunday, March 6, 2011

FIRST SIGHT OF THE OCEAN

The summer after our Rocky Mountain trip, we changed directions and headed out East.  Most of our journey was spent in Massachusetts.  My siblings and I had our first view of the ocean.  The day was gray, cold, and windy, but to us it was still spectacular.  Since the water was quite cold, we were only brave enough to jump ankle deep in the waves.  I remember running along the edge of the waves on the beach and smelling the salt air; the ocean left a great impression on me. 
At one point, my older brother decided to wade knee-deep into the water and turned to face us.  While he was showing off, a large wave approached him, and we intentionally did not warn him.  Right before the wave crashed into him, he turned around, but it was too late.  The next thing I saw of him was his foot sticking up into the air; we thought it was so funny!  He never tried that stunt again. 
At Marconi Beach, we toured a museum that gave the history of Marconi who laid the first transatlantic cable to Europe.  This was my favorite beach; we went there several times. 
In Massachusetts, my family also visited Plymouth Rock, a replica of the Mayflower, Plymouth Plantation, and an Indian village.  It truly was amazing to know that the Pilgrims settled the land right where we were visiting.  Seeing historic sites is exciting!  I encourage everyone to pay a visit to a historical site if one has the opportunity.  


http://attractions.uptake.com/blog/files/2008/11/64182521_6e673e1acf.jpg
http://marineinsight.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/e-mayflower-ship.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment