Sunday, March 6, 2011

WHALES AND NYC

Another part of our agenda for our journey in the East was to go on a whale boat cruise at Providence, Rhode Island.  This was such an exciting adventure even though it overcast again.  We only saw the backs of a few whales; they were not very playful that day.  The greatest part of that day was standing in the front, bobbing up and down with the waves, and being sprayed by salt water.  At the front of the cruise boat, the deck extended to a narrow point.  Both my brothers and I stood out on the ledge almost the entire time because the experience was more exhilarating than sitting on a chair inside or on the top deck.  We had such an enjoyable time getting sprayed by the sea.  After this sea voyage, my family walked through part of Providence and bought salt water taffy; this was a special experience. 

I cannot think of this vacation without remembering our experience of touring Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  Some of my ancestors emigrated from Sweden and stayed at Ellis Island until they were permitted into New York City.  I viewed pictures of rooms full of immigrants.  I actually stood in those same rooms; it was not a replica.  I found Ellis Island to be captivating. 


Visiting the Statue of Liberty was fascinating as well.  We arrived too late in the day to climb up into the statue, but we did work our way up through the pedestal which was as far as we were allowed to go.  Viewing New York harbor and the skyline was a unique spectacle for me and my siblings who had not seen a large city before.  We viewed the Trade Towers only a few months before 9/11.  

http://www.visitingdc.com/images/ellis-island-picture-3.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment